Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Pause for thought....


Have just finished a book called "Last light" by Alex Scarrow. It wasn't particularly well written but it did get me thinking and certain passages really struck a chord.

In essence it's about how fragile our society is and how dependant we are upon oil. The author seems to have taken the sentiments from this website and turned them into a novel. The website was compiled by a US lawyer and - whilst predicting the end of civilisation as we know it - is well written with instant links to all of his source material.

The bit that made it plausible was my recent memory of the banking crisis when, for a few days after Lehmann Brothers went bust, hysteria seemed to break out and most people were petrified that Barclays, Lloyds etc were going to go bust with their savings lost forever.

I'm not buying in "survivor packs" just yet but it will certainly give me added energy when digging my "potager" this autumn and I may well add some extra candles to my shopping list when I'm next in E Le Clerc!

No comments: